Re: Starting KDM

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 01:45, Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:
> Sorry for the crosspost, I posted this on the debian-user list, but maybe it's
> more of a KDE question. Any help/ideas appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>

> Hello,
>
> I have Woody installed. I wanted to have X support for an ATI Radeon
> 7500 card so I upgraded to XFree86 version 4.2.0. I downloaded all of
> the files from the XFree86 website and installed them according to their

Maybe try the 4.2.1 debs for woody from:

deb http://debian.mpe.mpg.de/apt-cacher/people.debian.org/~blade/woody/i386 ./

> instructions. I use KDE 2.2.2 as my window manager, and KDM as my login
> manager. Everything worked fine before the XFree upgrade. However, now
> when I boot up, Woody goes straight to a console login prompt. I have
> RTFineM. My /etc/X11/default-display-manager file says /usr/bin/kdm. I
> have KDM installed. I have run "dpkg-reconfigure kdm" and set kdm as
> default.  When I ran "update-rc.d kdm defaults" it says that 'System
> startup links for /etc/init.d/kdm' already exists. Still, everytime I
> boot up, Woody goes straight to a console login prompt. If I then login
> as user, and then run "startx", then KDE starts up. I want KDM to start
> up at bootup. What could be wrong?

Does KDM run?
		ps -ef | grep kdm

If not try  '/etc/init.d/kdm start'  for root on the console work.

Check /etc/kde2/kdm/Xserver and check that
the path to the xserver match the one you've chosen
for your own Xfree86 installation (I guess here's the bug ;)

Check
	grep ' kdm['  /var/log/syslog
	tail -100	/var/log/kdm.log

Achim