Re: problem starting kde

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 19:02, Matthew M wrote:

> On Thursday 11 July 2002 10:02 pm, Eric Aumont wrote:
> > When the system boots, I get the message "starting K desktop
> > manager : done", then the login in text mode and no kde.
>
> You are right; usually this means that there is some problem preventing X from
> starting.
>
> Try logging in to the console then doing dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86,
> which will let you configure your X server. If that doesn't work, you should
> probably do what Jon Ellis says and look at the KDM log, which will tell you
> why X failed to start.

>From /var/log/kdm.log:

XFree86 Version 3.3.6a / X Window System
Fatal server error:
No config file found!

Log in and run startx from the console.  From /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System

XF 3 can't find the config file because I'm using XF86Config-4

I upgraded to XFree86 4.1 by installing from source (the debs weren't
available.)  kdm worked for a while after that but something I've done
recently has broken it.  (It may have happened while I was mucking about
getting KDE 3 installed and working.)  How do I go about removing XF 3
without farkling XF 4, and how do I get kdm to start version 4?