kooka - bug 141363

I finally bought a scanner that will work with Linux (Epson 1650).  It works
fine with xsane and xscanimage.  However, kooka just doesn't work on this
machine.  Someone else reported the exact situation in bug 141383, which has
been outstanding for some time.  Will this be addressed in due time or is it
best to upgrade everything to kde3?

If this isn't the appropriate place to ask this question, my apologies in
advance.  I do appreciate all the work the packagers do to give us a great
desktop environment.

bob