Re: kppp on ppc debian doesn't work....

Lunedì, novembre 25, 2002, alle 01:57 , Derek Broughton ha scritto:

From: "Pieter" <arthur2@inwind.it>

1- kppp doesn't work... it just keeps telling me "sorry, modem is not
responding" no matter how hard I try changing setup. please note that the
various console commands pon poff plog all work no problem.

I'm working from root level but have tried also to manually change user mode
i.e. with chmod kppp is now set to 4755 and root/user.

tsk. :-) but since you're root, we know it isn't the usual auth/noauth switch.
Do you have /dev/modem linked to the correct /dev/ttySx device?
--
derek
thanks derek

I suppose I do so anyway here is what I typed

# ln -s /dev/modem /dev/ttyS0

interesting thing is pon and poff work no problem so I don't really understand what is going on as pppd seems to be fine. I tried wrong port addressing (ttyS3...) and message I get is " sorry, can't open modem"

whereas now on connection I get the following sequence:
1-looking for modem
2-modem ready
3-sorry, the modem doesn't respond

any clues?