Re: trouble installing kde-3.0.5 on woody

Thomas Schoepf wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 06:50:02PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > Someone was funny at download.kde.org and copied the 3.04 packages to the
> > 3.0.5 directory. Any comments?
>
> It's a symlink to ../3.0.4/Debian. I wonder whether there will be 3.0.5
> debs some day.

A few days ago, I sent the following to Ralf Nolden -- I probably
should have sent it to the list, instead:

> 1. In 3.0.4/Debian/woody/, it looks like the kde packages require
> libqt3-mt-3.0.5, but the provided packages are libqt3-mt-3.0.5.
[That last is a typo; I meant libqt3-mt-3.0.3.]

> 2. The link for latest has recently been updated to point to 3.0.5,
> but there is no Debian directory under 3.0.5.  Wouldn't it make more
> sense to organize the directories as, e.g.:
>         Debian/woody/<version>/
> rather than
>         <version>/Debian/woody/
> to avoid this problem?

Maybe he or someone else addressed the first problem with an update
and the second with a band-aid?

In any case, is a directory re-org of that sort feasible?

On a more general note, I get the impression that the woody port of
KDE-3 is neither widely used nor thoroughly maintained, and I suspect
a chicken-and-egg problem.  Can I induce a maintainer to try harder to
break that cycle?  I'm happy to throw some money at the problem if it
will help.  (I believe that having a reliable, easy-to-install,
current port of KDE for the stable version of Debian is valuable to
both projects.)

--Jeff