Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:57:12PM -0400, Luke Seubert wrote:
> On 10/24/2002 6:29 PM, Nick Leverton at nick@leverton.org wrote:
>
> > I'm with the "Want to group like tasks with like" camp, myself.  But why
> > not make it an Option[tm] ?  Have a configurable bit in the menu program
> > called "Flatten Debian" or something, which will fold any "/Debian"
> > menu into the level above it.
> >

> Hmm, that might be doable.  It does add more complexity for the folks
> working on the backend of all this stuff.  And it adds another slightly
> complicated question during install time possibily - "Attention User - Do
> you want both Gnome and KDE apps showing up in your Menu?"  While this

And add an option about wanting the debian menu layout ?

Anyway, we have more control on the debian menu layout than on the other
things you propose, if the debian menu is badly layouted or other such,
then it should be fixed, not discarded. Consistency, not only between
KDE/Gnome but also between all other desktop systems/window managers
debian proposes is a good thing.

Friendly,

Sven Luther