[desktop] Please read the vFolder spec [Was: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks]

<quote who="Miles Bader"/>

> I don't think it's bad to prejudice the displayed menus toward the
> `current environment', but I think the difference between the menus
> displayed when using a Gnome desktop and those displayed when using a KDE
> desktop should be fairly minor -- along the lines of different apps
> showing up in certain places, but _not_ rearranging the whole menu
> structure.
>
> In other words, we should be using a unified Debian menu structure with
> appropriate tweaks for certain environments (and in particular, _not_
> using the default Gnome/KDE menu structures).

Hey,

I think this thread could do with a good helping of spec-reading. :-)

  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/VFolderDesktops.txt

You can do almost all of this with the vFolder spec, and the best thing is
that you will have to do very little work to it them working in GNOME and
KDE because they will both support the spec. So whatever the .desktop files
that Debian packages install say, GNOME and KDE will do.

If anything, you guys should be contributing to the spec, to make sure that
it works properly for Debian. Then it will truly kick arse for both the
desktops *and* distributions.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
   "Everyone says they like Free Software - not everyone is ready to make
         the tough choices to make it happen." - Maciej Stachowiak