Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

In chiark.mail.debian.devel, you wrote:
>Daniel Stone <dstone@kde.org> writes:
>> Not necessarily. When I use KDE, I largely want to use KDE apps. I
>> personally think GNOME/KDE should offer their own menus, with a submenu
>> in each category for "Non-{GNOME,KDE} Applications". I don't see a
>> problem with this, i.e. how our KDE3 packages do it.
>
>It sounds bizarre, actually, to classify programs by which toolkit they use.
>I don't think most users really care.

I'm not convinced. Different toolkits behave differently. A naive user
shouldn't have to understand why their KDE-based mail client behaves
slightly differently to their Gnome-based news client. I dislike using
non-GTK applications, and I'm willing to accept a slight reduction in
functionality to achieve this.

Back in my Amiga days, applications were released using three main
toolkits (the system widgets, MUI and Classact). The lack of coherent
look or behaviour between them led to people writing patches which
hacked the system widgets to look more like one of the others. There are
people out there who want consistency, and I think an average user is
more likely to fall into this class. My preference would be for the
default KDE menus to prefer KDE applications, the default Gnome menus to
prefer Gnome applications and other window managers not to care.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org