Re: KDE3 - Debian/experimental distribution proposal

Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 05:29:24PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
>
>> Or, my variation of the question: Why not just build-depend on g++-3.2,
>> build the packages and their dependencies (anything other than Qt?)
>> explicitly with g++-3.2, and upload to unstable or experimental.  Once
>
> You'd need to compile Qt with GCC 3.2 too.  C++ code compiled with it is
> just not compatible with GCC 2.95 compiled C++ (C has no such problem).

That's what I said.  I think Qt would be the only dependency that would
need to be recompiled.  Presumably, you could use some name-mangling
scheme like attaching -gcc3.2 or something to the Qt libraries and
package name, in lieu of a real transition plan.

I'll have to test this today and see if it actually works.

--
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!