dpkg installation of kde 3.0.4

Hi,

I compiled the kde 3.0.4 for my powerpc box based on Ralph Nolden's
source files on the kde.org site.  I installed them using dpkg -i *.deb
selecting the debs I wanted.  Now when I go and use aptitude to update
my testing box, I get messages indicating that the kde files I just
installed are slated to be removed.  Now did I mess up by doing
installations via dpkg -i instead of apt-get?  If so, is there any way
to fix this or do I need to move all the debs to
/var/cache/apt/archives and use a apt-get install?

Thanks,

John Schmidt