Re: KDE3 - Debian/experimental distribution proposal (was: yes i am alive ;)

ReMoin!

Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > > well, as much as this would work out, someone has to do the work
> > > actually. And regarding the experimental distribution - that brings your
> > > work environment to a highly unstable state, not to speak about the
> > > packagers having to build the packages on this system.
> >
> > The experimental distribution is designed for exactly this: Store
> > packages that are not yet suitable for unstable.  Packages don't need
> > to be uber-unstable to be uploaded to experimental, though.  It could
> > also be used as a staging area to store the packages before everything
> > is sorted out so they can be uploaded into unstable properly.
> Yepp.
> >
> > Another advantage of using experimental is that everything would
> > already be in the Debian archive: overrides, package names for the
> > BTS, files in the pool etc. pp.  This would mean that these packages
> > could already use the Debian package infrastructure, even though they
> > are not yet part of unstable.  However, I doubt that experimental is
> > autobuilt, so it'll require manual attention.
> That means more work than putting KDE into unstable I guess.

No, it should be easier, once the packages have demonstrated their
quality in experimental since the Debian infrastructure is already
used.  One thing that keeps new packages out of the archive is missing
overrides lines.  I'd expect that it is easier for the ftp people to
copy overrides lines from experimental to unstable than creating new
ones which requires thinking and considerations.

Of course, it's more work than simply dumping the packages into a
directory and not care about them anymore.  However, that won't help
very much anyway.

> > This is a completely different story, unfortunately.
> Yes, understood. But I have to have a build for woody due to our customer
> demand (at credativ where I'm working now). So those builds are made anyway
> and are provided at the same time by KDE for woody users. I'm not speaking
> about updating KDE in woody.

Copying these builds into a properly designed and apt-get'able area
will probably be a benefit for many users.

> > If you would like to provide newer KDE packages for woody, which would
> > probably be a benefit from a users perspective, you'll need to bypass
> > the Debian server.  For this purpose, being able to add a line like
> > "deb http://debian.kde.org woody main" to apt.sources, would probably
> > the best and most logical solution (or switch the name to
> > kde.debian.org/net).
> Yes, something like this. We'll have to go through the webserver stuff at KDE
> first or just use ftp.kde.org for that.

I noticed that http://ftp.kde.org/ doesn't work, so you may want to
add this in order to make the archive fully apt-get'able including the
use of the http get method through web proxies.

> > Having a native source for additional information, howtos, guidelines
> > etc. is always a benefit.  If such documentation is rather static and
> > less of a moving target and also dedicated for end-users, it may be
> > worth considering the use of www.debian.org.  This will
> > "automatically" add translations and is the native source for
> > information addressing Debian.
> Yay!! I didn't think debian was so developer friendly to KDE stuff :-))

*smirk* Did I say anything wrong? :)

> >  2. In order to provide new packages for the unstable distribution I'd
> >     like to see the experimental distribution of Debian used, since
> >     this enables using the entire infrastructure of Debian except for
> >     the buildds.
> Ok. Could you help providing the necessary steps get going so we can upload
> packages ?

In the debian/changelog line use something like:

    kdegraphics (4:2.2.2-6.8) experimental; urgency=low

and upload the package to ftp-master.debian.org or use an upload
queue.  Noël and Michael can probably help with this step.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Every use of Linux is a proper use of Linux.  -- Jon "Maddog" Hall