My KDE Headaches

Hi All,

I've been driven to posting this message by various problems with my debian
kde installation that I hoped would go away but refuse to do so.

I'm running an apt-get updated and upgraded testing system, on an athlon 1.2
with 512mb, radeon card and scsi.  I'm using 2.4.18 kernel and I've managed
to get radeon support working properly.

I first installed debian around January 2002, and soon got kde 2.2 up and
running. Everything seemed stable for a while until the following problems
began to present themselves.

General instability

Many of the main KDE applications (especially konqueror) have begun to hang
regularly, especially when opening or saving files, or changing the settings.
The crash usually freezes the screen completely, and I rarely get to see the
'kde crash' screen.

Long pauses

If I try to launch an application after kde has been up and running for more
than a few minutes I get a pause of up to ten minutes before the application
actually launches. All other loaded applications function fine during this
time.

Other

If I do get a crash similar to that outlined above and manage to succesfully
logout, I can't log back in again as the login process stops at 'starting
window manager'.

If anybody out there can help me with any of this I would be very grateful.
I'm trying to evangelise debian and linux to my friends, but it's difficult
with such an unstable desktop. What am I doing wrong?

Could anybody point me to a better / more stable desktop?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

"I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious,
but I am, so that's just the way it comes out"

Bill Hicks RIP