Re: 178 days and counting

what happens on a Debian system when you compile from source? I have run in succession 3.0 alpha, 3.0beta, 3.1 alpha and now 3.1beta (or for you purests 3.0.7) All built from tarballs on the dread RH. I have never had the slightest difficulty with KDE on RH unless it was something of my own doing but for reasons I will not go into on this list, I am switching to Debian. Since I am a gnome blows kinda guy and require, no insist that I have KDE and in the 3.0 family running on debian woody. I have no experience with .deb or any other debian tools. never liked RPMs for that matter and have always built my packages from source.
What say you fellows? source? will there be issues?