What's going on with KDE 3 and XFree86's libxkbfile?

[Please reply to both debian-kde and debian -x.]

I recently got a mail that said something like this:

  Why isn't there a -fPIC compiled version of /usr/X11R6/lib/libxkbfile.a
  available?  (e.g. /usr/X11R6/lib/libxkbfile_pic.a)

  Background: I'm regulary compiling KDE3 CVS head on hppa and I'm getting a
  failure in the link stage:

  /usr/local/bin/ld: /usr/X11R6/lib/libxkbfile.a(maprules.o): relocation R_PARISC_DPREL21L can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
  /usr/X11R6/lib/libxkbfile.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

  This error is caused because the libxbbfile isn't compiled with -fPIC and so
  it's not usable to build a shared lib.  But both libXxf86dga_pic.a
  libXxf86vm_pic.a are available as pic versions.

I already answered this person privately, and I trust I don't need to
remind this list of why it's a stupid idea to treat an unversioned static
object like a shared library[1].

Can someone tell me what part of KDE is trying to sneak things in the back
door?  Can someone get in touch with upstream quickly and warn them of the
hazards of doing so?  The right thing to do is to statically link
libxkbfile into the object being created.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00028.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00063.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00087.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00085.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     No math genius, eh?  Then perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you could explain to me where you