ugly x background when starting kdm

Every time I start my computer I am anoyed with this problem but
have not been able to get rid of it. So please help me.

When kdm starts I first get this very ugle black and white dots as
a background after which the login box comes up and after that
the debian background appears. I would like to get rid of the
black and white dots, how do I do this ? I have looked in
/etc/kde3/kdm but could not find anything.

What I like is to replace the dots with just a plain collor, like black
or white or blue. Does anyone know how to do this ?

Thanks,
Bastiaan