Re: kde 3.* in sid will it ever happen?

Hi Matt,

On 17 Sep 2002, Matt Reynolds wrote:

> Not to be a pedant, but if there was information put forth and
> assurances made about package quality, ability to upgrade, and effort
> put forth to make sure the experimental packages alligned with the final
> "official" packages, I would move today.

The GPL says:

> 11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
>     FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.

I think that's the main problem here. Debian is not a professional
entity...

> As one of these people, I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved to
> help me get up to speed and informed, and I have learned quite a bit
> from the people surrounding Debian.  In many cases, I'm willing to trust
> Debian to "take care of me", but I would like to be able to make
> informed decisions about package and system choice (Should I upgrade to
> package X?  Does it have current support?  Is the package maintainer
> active and responsive?), and to do that I need to know what's going on
> with the developers and packagers behind the scenes.

.. most people working on Debian do it on their own time, for fun or
sometimes because there's a company that needs some specific stuff and
sponsors people to do it.

So allthough what you are asking for is valuable and a good idea, the best
you can do is either:

* hope
* kindly ask for it and hope
* pay someone to take care about your concerns
* dive yourself into the matter and find out for yourself
* get a commercialy supported version of Debian that can guarantee you
  what you are asking for

If you follow the list you'll see that many people are happy with the
currently provided KDE3 packages [1] and you can made an estimate from
there.

And if you want to deploy KDE3 throughout your company, then your best bet
is to make one or more test-installations or -upgrades use the upgraded
system for a while, and after you've made sure things work out for you as
they should, make the next step and upgrade the rest - just like you
probably would with Windows or whatever, where you won't get any guarantee
either, and only can be fairly sure that things should more or less work.

*t

[1] the 3.0.3 packages work very well for me, the upgrade went smoothly,
    you should reserve yourself a few hours though to sort out all the
    dependencies

         Tomas Pospisek
         http://sourcepole.ch
         Tel: +41 (81) 330 77 11