Re: KDE debs building

On Sunday 15 September 2002 6:53 pm, Tamas Nagy wrote:
> Glad to hear the initiative. First of all, credit to all packagers, it
> was a good work...
>
> IMHO, the current practice (everybody creates own packaging for KDE)
> needs to be changed. The debian directories in CVS used to be outdated,
> and this leads to duplicated (and wasted) packaging efforts. KDE package
> building should be repeatable from the CVS by anyone.

and they are for 3.0.x, see below for info.

> However there are some site, including mine
> (http://mypage.bluewin.ch/kde3-debian, for gathering all the (often
> incompatible) packages and sources ), the best would be to have a single
> repository for all the KDE Debian packages at ftp.kde.org.

The problem is that several people are maintainers for several packages. Chris
Cheney is maintainer for kdelibs, kdebase and others, while Ben Burton is
maintainer for kdeartwork, kdeaddons, koffice and a few others.  Someone else
is maintainer for kdevelop.

> Finally, individual heroes, please try to use the KDE CVS (more
> frequently) and let everybody will benefit from your work.

AFAIK, most people do use CVS and try to keep HEAD up to date. The problem
there is that HEAD is a moving target. KDE developers add files, move files
and remove files which means that the file lists in CVS are not up to date.
Several people, including myself, build KDE HEAD as and when we can and
update CVS so they are buildable, but we can't do all of the modules all of
the time, so they won't always be buildable.  BRANCH has pretty much been up
to date since before 3.0.0 so people could build packages from CVS for the
3.0.x series.  IMHO, the situation with KDE is significantly better than for
most other Debian packages which do not have debian dirs available for
development versions.