From: Ralf Nolden [mailto:nolden@kde.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2002 5:36 PM
To: debian-kde@lists.debian.org
Subject: KDE debs building

Hi,

as some of you got to know until now, I switched from SuSE to Debian
this week
- - and directly hit the fact that building debs from CVS would work
best for
me to have it working the right way (tm). Now, I got into working with
Chris
lately and we try to fix the issues one by one soon now so that everyone
can
build debs himself but more important, provide debs for KDE constantly
that
work, where also most importantly betas, RC's and finals are provided by
the
day that the packages are build and work optimal on Debian.

The other thing is that third party apps need to be compiled if you like
use them. Until now several people do that for the apps they like to run
or
that they are developing using debian as their development platform. The

problem for the users is that the deb lines for sources.list are spread
all
over and there is no central way of getting the newest apps through debs
for
people that are not necessarily developers like we are. The other thing
is
that as developers, just doing a make install would work but that
usually
messes up our systems, especially as KDE has /usr as its prefix on
debian. So
it would be the best if we could somehow collect our resources and
schedule
building debs and providing them in a central place.

I talked with Dirk Müller already and some other guys that I use to work
with
at KDE and we should provide that possibility through KDE on
ftp.kde.org.
Wether that will work out just depends on how many people would
volunteer to
participate.

If you're interested, let's come together to finally end this messy
system
where there's certain problems with building debs for us and the KDE
users
using debian, it would surely make things a *lot* easier if we organize
ourselves and coordinate doing things efficiently.

Thanks for your attention and for volunteering :-)

Ralf
- --
Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org