kmail and gpg

A problem that I have had with kmail in kde 2.0 and am now having with kmail
in kde 3.0.3 is that it takes up lots of CPU time when launching gpg.

When I do an operation that causes GPG to take some time (IE re-calculating
the trust db because new signatures have been received for some keys) then
kmail apparently goes into a spin loop waiting for a response from gpg.  The
result is that for some minutes kmail gets 50% CPU time and gpg gets the
other 50%.

I then tried kill -stop on the kmail process, gpg then used >90% CPU time
until it finished it's work and I then did kill -cont on kmail and everything
was fine.

Is there some way to reconfigure kmail to make it behave better?  Or is it
just buggy?