Re: missing menus

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Erik Johansson wrote:

> You are probably having the same problem as I did. See if you have the file
> /etc/kde3/ui/ui_standards.rc. If not, download it from the kde cvs
> http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/*checkout*/kdelibs/kdeui/ui_standards.rc?rev=HEAD&only_with_tag=KDE_3_0_2_RELEASE&content-type=text/plain
> and place it in /etc/kde3/ui/
>
> I don't know why the file is not installed, because it is in the list (dpkg -L
> kdelibs-data | grep ui). Maybe a result of not doing a complete purge of
> kde3-beta debs before install??

Erik,  Thanks!  That was the magic bullet.  The addition of the
ui_standard file corrected the menu issues completely.  And yes, I believe
you are right about not completely purging previous versions.  I ran into
the same scenario trying to upgrade X on a couple Debian machines.  It
seems that dpkg --remove doesn't do as complete a job as dpkg --purge.
It would seem that --remove leaves some scripts/data/info behind that
may make subsequent reinstalls skip installing some files from within a
package, maybe it thinks they are already there.  --purge seems to wipe
the slate completely clean.  At any rate, KDE 3.0.2 is now working
wonderfully. Thanks for your help!