dhcp client, kde problems

Two problems, let me break them down:

1. DHCP Client

I finally got my cable internet connection going, did exactly what is
indicated in
http://home.cfl.rr.com/aawtrey/network.html  that is, modified my
/etc/dhclient.conf
supersede domain-name "home.myhouse.org cfl.rr.com";
prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers;
require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;

 I finally got it going, but it seems to me very slow, at least much slower
than win98 connection. But this shouldn't be! So I think that I must have
some more tweaking to do (may be in interfaces, which I didn't touch?), but
have no clue what how. Please advise.

2. KDE

I had KDE working, but the settings of XFree were: 800x600 (obtained through
deconfig) with 30x60 horizontal, 50x70 vertical.
My monitor (CTX PL7, 17 inches) real specifications are 30x70 horiz; 50x160
vert;
1280x1024 @60hz ; 1024x768@85hz; 800x600 @110hz
The reason for that discrepancy is that debconfig really didn't give me much
choice, it tells you to pick the resolutions you want but there is no way of
getting them (a bug?). Any way, I edited the settings manually in
XF86Config-4, logged out, but when came back I discovered that I was unable
to see the the task bar at the bottom of the screen, nor right-left clicking
was doing anything, so I had a much nicer with better resolution blue screen
but w/o any icons or interaction possibility. This is was not the case
before editing XF86Config-4, I was even browsing with mozilla and konqueror
through cable, never done before by me!
Note: The only changes made in XF86Config-4 were adding "1024x768" in all
lines ahere they were supposed to be; aand changing vertical and horizontal
frecuencies. Again, notice the XF86 is working, the screen with the wall
paper is shown nicely, but there are no icons or operability through mouse.

Thanks in advance.