Debian + KDE2 + Japanese localization -> don't get characters...

I'm trying to set up Japanese localization on my Debian system for a couple
of Japanese students who are staying with me and I can't get it to work. The
last time I did it I just selected kde-i18n-ja and select Japanese for
country and language and jisx0208.1983-0 for the font. What I get is either
all characters "disappear" or (if I select a different font) question marks
for the characters.

I think last time I did this it worked fine but I can't seem to get it to
work this time.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt