Re: OpenSSL license incompatibility

Hendrik Sattler <ubq7@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Am Dienstag, 30. Juli 2002 02:24 schrieb Daniel Schepler:
> > Something has been bothering me about the KDE packages...  The OpenSSL
> > license is incompatible with the GPL, but Konqueror et al use the
>
> Can you actually tell me, where it is incompatible? If GPL is that
> restriktive, then why is the software shipped with it called "free"?

As I understand it, the problem is that the OpenSSL license requires
you to include an "obnoxious advertising clause" in any software
linked against it.  However, the GPL requires that any program linked
against a GPL'd library must be distributable under the terms of the
GPL.  Hence the conflict, since the GPL doesn't require any such
advertising of the OpenSSL project and eay.
--
Daniel Schepler              "Please don't disillusion me.  I
schepler@math.berkeley.edu    haven't had breakfast yet."