Re: imlib and libpng

lördagen den 13 juli 2002 22.39 skrev Steve M. Robbins:

> The only consensus that emerged is: if imlib changed from PNG2 to
> PNG3, then the imlib SONAME should change.  In the interests of the
> woody freeze, nothing has happened yet: imlib, and anything that links
> to it, is using libpng2.
>
> However, the KDE folks are increasingly impatient to use imlib with
> png3.  It's time to update imlib, so I'm looking for ideas.

When i needed imlib, I simply rebuilt it with libpng3.

If you change the soname, you have to rebuild 129 packages. If you keep the
soname, you have to rebuild 18 packages. It looks like a continuing debian
nightmare like we experienced this spring with KDE. If it was so hard to find
someone to rebuild just KDE. How will it then be to find maintainers to
rebuild all those 129 packages?

Anyway, the solution is to have unofficial packages that are rebuilt for
libpng3 for those who does not like such nightmares. :-)
Not that I worry, I rebuild those I need myself. It is often a quite fast
business. It is also often needed, since so many packages want to deinstall
KDE3 or libpng3.

Some debian maintainers continually rebuild packages, to keep late active
versions in unstable. I have to send my big appreciation to those people.

-- Karolina