    Date: Tue,  9 Jul 2002 13:08:13 +0200
    From: tpo2@sourcepole.ch
 Subject: kppp not passing through password
      To: Christopher L Cheney <ccheney@debian.org>

I have not succeded in bringing kppp to pass through the password to pppd.
In the ppp log I see:

Jul  9 12:14:07 petertosh pppd[3041]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="sunrise"
password=""]

I had to insert the auth info into /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

sunrise sun     freesurf

AFAIK this is not documented anywhere in the kppp documentation and IMHO
the user shouldn't worry about /etc/ppp/pap-secrets at all.

A few more suggestions for kppp:

* debug option for pppd

* local2 entry for syslog.conf for /var/log/ppp.log

* contrary to what /../doc/README.Debian says - the user does not only
  has to be member of dip but also of dialout (I have to say it's quite
  foggy to me why there are two groups for dialout in Debian).

Thanks a lot for the KDE3 packages - they work very well! It'd be nice if
they could move into unstable so there's an archive for bugreports, libraries
start getting in sync again etc.

Thanks a lot!
*t

----- End forwarded message -----