Re: libxml2 and libxslt1 are broken in kdelibs4?

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 03:10:16AM +0200, gerhard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm rather new to debian but I want to update to kde 3.0.1.
> I modified my sources.list and run apt-get update.
> kdelibs4 is broken by UNSATISFIED dependencies of libxml2 (>=
> 2.4.19-4) and libxslt1 (>= 1.0.16).
> I can not add these by typing + nor remove by -
>
> Probably I have to remove conflicting kde 2.2.2 packages?

libxml2 and libxslt1 should be upgradeable.

There are many KDE2 packages that conflict with the KDE3 ones, and these
have to be removed, though some can be upgraded.

By the way, how can you apt-get update and then claim to be using
aptitude? :-}

If you are used to using aptitude from the command line, you should
check out aptitude's interactive interface.

> How can I solve that, or isn't that a serious issue.
> I want to use kde 2.2.2 and kde 3.0.1 next to each other (sorry
> about my english) choosen by kdm. There will not be a serious
> problem with that intention?

You cannot do this with the debs from geniussystems. Kdelibs4 conflicts
with kdelibs3!

> My sources.list looks like:
> # primary mirror
> deb http://kde3.geniussystems.net/debian ./
> deb http://kde.debian.co.nz/debian ./
> # mirrors all kde debs
> deb http://kde.ping.uio.no/i386 ./
>
> # KDE 3.0.1 Grundpakete
> # deb http://kde3.geniussystems.net/debian ./
> # Noch mehr Pakete
> deb http://people.debian.org/~bab/kde3 ./
> # KDevelop 2.1.1 for KDE 3.0
> deb http://people.debian.org/~njordan kde3.0/
> # kdegames 3.0.1
> deb http://people.debian.org/~schepler kdegames/
>
> # official liquid
> deb  http://arachni.kiwi.uni-hamburg.de/~harlekin ./binary-i386/
>
> Any suggestion is appreciate.
>
> regards
> gerhard

I don't see a reference to the debian archive. You need to add one.
Libxml2 and libxslt1 can be found there. In fact, I wouldn't be
surprised if you see the two packages listed under "Obsolete" in
aptitude.

> ps:
> under suse 7.3 it's suggested to do the following steps:
>
> 1. removing old xml packages
>
> rpm -e libxslt-devel
> rpm -e libxslt
> rpm -e libxml2-devel
> rpm -e --nodeps libxml2
>
> 2. install new xml packages
>
> rpm -Uvh libxml2-2.4.19-1.i386.rpm libxslt-1.0.14-1.i386.rpm
>
> 3. install several needed libs
>
> 4. remove disturbing packages
>
> rpm -e  kdenetwork-devel
> rpm -e kdenetwork
>
> Q: Got it to do something with the broken kdelibs4 (in other words:
> is it the same or a similar problem?) Are similar things neccessary
> with woody? If yes: How to do it in debian

Eek! No RPMs please, we are Debian :-}. Debian automatically handles
dependency issues. If two packages conflict, you will know it firsthand.

-Andy