Re: KDE 3 Update -- Please

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 09:30:36PM -0600, Doug Holland wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2002 10:43 am, Robert Tilley wrote:
> > I know that we're supposed to wait until XFree86 4.2 first appears for
> > Debian before asking about KDE 3.  Too bad.
> >
> > May 2, May 3, May 4, and May 5 (You get the idea) have passed and still no
> > information on either of those packages is available -- at least to me.

Is Woody released yet.... NO!

Although I have heard word that Woody has been closed to files migrating
into it so it may now be safe to upload KDE.

> > No, I don't have the expertise to package software for Debian nor the time.
> > I am only looking for a hint about when The Day of Release might occur.
>
> No offense, but is it really a good idea to hold off on official KDE 3 until
> XFree86 4.2?  From what I hear, the Debian priesthood hasn't even begun to
> debianize X 4.2, and that it will require oodles of hacking & debugging
> before it is considered ready for the Debian masses.  KDE 3 does not require
> X 4.2, why wait for it?

I thought it would have been ready around the same time as KDE 3.0.1 but
it appears it won't be.  I may upload KDE before 4.2 is released after
all.  I am currently working on a third round of test debs with the
official KDE 3.0.1 tar files.

Chris