Re: KDE 3.0 debian subfolder

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:49, Cloverm wrote:
> While compiling KDE3, I noticed that after unpacking the source code bz2
> files, every one of them has a subfolder called "debian". What is this
> folder for? Does this mean that I have compile something different for
> Debian-based systems?

The debian directory is there so you can use dpkg-buildpackage to build
Debian packages of KDE.

Stephen Kulow started putting debian directories in the KDE CVS in 1998, and
I continued doing so into 1999, I believe that Ivan continued the same thing
while he was the KDE man.  After that I'm not sure how well they've been kept
in sync with the Debian source archive.  I hope the current Debian KDE people
have KDE CVS access and are doing so.  Otherwise the debian directories may
be out of date and have build errors.

Putting debian directories in the upstream CVS seems to be regarded as
controversial, but everyone who works on KDE seems to like the idea.