Re: kdeinit runs amok and gets killed by Kernel OOM killer

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:32, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> So I logged into a root console and found out that kdeinit was
> running amok (i.e. using all CPU time and memory) and that the kernel
> OOM killer was therefore killing processes. Today, I came back to my
> computer after a longer absences and my whole KDE was gone - kdeinit
> got killed by the OOM killer.

I had a similar problem that I noticed this morning.

At the time I noticed it a kdeinit process which appeared to be an IO slave
that was doing thumbnails of images had apparently used over 10 hours of CPU
time which corresponds to about a day of laptop use (I don't run top very
often ;).

A regular kill of theprocess didn't work so I had to "kill -9" it.