Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

On Thursday 17 January 2002 21:20, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:21:07AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > You might note the discussion on debian-kde of late, where Eray is
> > attempting to set a precedent by installing KDE3 into /opt/kde3. Let me
> > first disclose my viewpoint: I think this idea sucks, as you can clearly
> > see from my postings.
>
> Eray is being an idiot.
>

> /opt is user's territory, not ours.  KDE is correct to default to using
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is definitely not the case according to FHS. If you believe that /opt
should be user's territory, please go and submit a patch to FHS maintainers
and we will see who is the real idiot.

> /opt according to the FHS for a default installation.  But it is not
> correct for Debian to put it there.

And the reason being "/opt is user's territory, not ours although doing so
does not violate FHS". I'm hoping you don't seriously back this explanation
of yours. You are failing to give any objective reasons. The only reason you
have given is your own belief, which does not correspond to facts.

For the record, I'm *not* saying that KDE should be installed in /opt. This
is another matter, I'm saying that the reason for not installing into /opt
cannot be "/opt violates FHS" since /opt is part of FHS, and its use is very
clearly conveyed in the standard. I'd like to think that a native English
speaker would not have so much difficulty in understanding two pages of text.

> It should - but as of my current base-files, it does not.  /opt should be
> created as the FHS calls for it to be for third party software.  KDE is
> not third party software in Debian.

So it seems you were the smart person who thought "add-on" in FHS necessarily
meant "third party" although there is not the slightest implication of such a
thing in FHS itself.

For people who are more seriously interested in the interpetation of FHS, I
invite you to thoroughly read the standard and state your opinions.

Thanks,

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>