[kde] setting an /opt precedent

You might note the discussion on debian-kde of late, where Eray is
attempting to set a precedent by installing KDE3 into /opt/kde3. Let me
first disclose my viewpoint: I think this idea sucks, as you can clearly
see from my postings.

My main concern is that we'll set a precedent here in Debian for this
sort of behaviour. AFAIK no Debian package has ever touched /opt; in
fact I'm pretty sure it doesn't even exist on a default install.

So, please read the thread and state your opinions. I know it's a KDE
issue, but I feel it affects Debian as a whole, since putting something
in /opt ("SuSE and RedHat do it, so it *must* be good!"), would set a
major precedent for Debian.

-d

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<Robot101> asuffield: you are about as helpful as a broomstick up the arse.