Re: [kde] anti-aliasing is *NOT* supported!

* Jarno Elonen schrieb am 08.01.02 um 20:32 Uhr:
> > Just to let you know that I will *not* support anti-aliasing. You can
> > use it, but don't expect me to urgently follow up on bug reports
> > involving AA, as it causes problems such as #123264. If you report an AA
> > bug, I'll probably downgrade its severity and tag wontfix, because it's
> > too buggy.
>
> Ok, you're the boss now (;-) but whatever you do, please don't at least
> disable AA *support*, leave it out of binary packages etc!
>
> It works very well at least on two computers I have tried so far and makes
> the desktop a *lot* more usable - provided the following is in
> XftConfig:
>
>   # Many true type fonts are optimized for point size 9-12
>   # and look clearer without AA in those sizes:
>   match any family == "*" edit antialias = true;
>   match all size > 8 all size < 13 edit antialias = false;

I have the Problem here, that those "> 8 all size < 13" fonts are
very ugly then (if AA is enabled). They are not AA and ugly. With AA
disabled they look nice then...

> (See http://iki.fi/elonen/devel/konq_aa.png for a screenshot. The page
> title is antialiased as are the window title and small menu texts.)
>
> And bug #123264 for example (huge fonts in konsole after AA enabled) was very
> easily fixed by just choosing the font manually from "[popup]/font/Custom...".

You could use the --noxft Option for that instead...

> I don't think AA on KDE is particularily buggy and should, instead, be
> considered quite an important feature if we want to eventually build a
> desktop UI that can seriously compete with the commercial one(s). Look & feel
> and usability are one of the areas we are most likely to fail in and
> therefore requires extra attention, IMHO.

ACK but looking forward to QT3, too.

-Marc

--
| Ein neuer Service von Links2Linux.de:   /  o\   RPMs for SuSE   |