Re: kmail and korn don't work for me (from unstable)

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 04:15:25PM +0100, Pablo de Vicente wrote:
> El Sáb 22 Dic 2001 09:47, Wolfgang Ratzka escribió:
> > $ kmail
> > *** KMail got signal 4 (Crashing)

So the crash is caused bye SIGILL - means Illegal Instruction, CPU throws
these signals in case it doesn't know an OP-Code. F.e. MMX-Code would give
SIGILL on 486.

>  My system is an AMD K6/450 and none of the kdenetwork applications work.
> KMail crashes the same way you see. I purged and reinstalled KDE from scratch
> but that did not helped. I am also using sid for KDE.

Reinstalling the same binaries won't help. It doesn't look like but seems
that kdenetwork is compiled with some special optimization flags not
supported on AMD K6 CPUs.

>   My last option was to grab the kdenetwork-2.2.2.tar.bz2 file from one of
> the KDE ftp mirrors and compile it myself. It compiled properly. Then I
> copied from kmail/.libs/kmail to /usr/bin/kmail and now I have a working
> kmail. I admit this is a dirty solution but it is the only one I have for the
> moment.

Try apt-get -b source kmail. To build the binary deb yourself from the
source packages.

>  There is something wrong with the Debian kdenetwork packages and I have no
> hint of what it is. I also have a laptop with a Pentium III and the Debian
> packages work fine. May be the problem is related to the type of CPU?.

Probably. Maybe the deb is ppro optimized what wouldn't work on K6 or
something similiar.

Björn