Getting started with KDE today Dec. 15, 2001

Hello,

I am a newbie still trying to shed my Microsoft
shackles.  I have three machines.  I have successful
set up my oldest as a potato
router/gateway/firewall/masq
I am working in getting my P200 to simulate my
productivity under Windows, at which time I will be
able to fdisk Windows out of my life.

My current status is too getting working the choice
GUI environment of KDE on woody. My current challenge
is
the debian bug 123601:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=123601&msg=5&repeatmerged=yes
-> kde pkg 2.2.2

The solution provided
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200107/msg00860.html
does not work for me as kdelibs3-crypto is still not
installed.

I have seen threads that suggest using 2.2.2 is the
best place to be rite now.  Do I have to go to sid for
these packages?

I have tried to become family with apt to accomplish
this, but I am left with some questions:

How do I clean up all the kde packages that are
currently installed?
# apt-get remove kdebase
-> looks like it is trying to install the crypto pkg still
# dpkg --purge kdelibs3
-> complains about the dependencies.  I was hoping that
it would clean up all the packages dependent on it.

Can I force debian to grab a particular version of the
pkgs?

How do I get a working KDE setup today?

Best regards,
Lloyd Budd