Re: Debian Updates and X Madness

On Saturday 01 December 2001 05:13 pm, Nancy Tilley wrote:
> I am running unstable and after my latest apt-get update session discovered
> that my mouse did not function, absolutely non-responsive.  And now, after
> bootup my machine displays the line "Debian 3.0".
>
> I'm running XFree86 4.1.  Under 3.3.6, I could use XF86Setup to set my
> mouse to PS/2 off of /dev/psaux to regain mouse function.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for under 4.1???
>
> Robert (off my wife's computer running Windows)
>
> P.S.  If you can't guess, I can't access X at all -- major config file
> problems!

Hey Mr. T.

	Sure. Simple. Different, but simple. And a couple of ways too.

1.	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
	this will walk you thru a dialog (via dpkg) to reconfigure
	(rewite XF86Config-4) the xserver.
	if you're NOT running the xserver-xfree86, I need to ask why/why not

2.	vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and find the lines concerning your mouse and
	correct them.
[snip'd from my XF86Config-4 for my USB intelli mouse)
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse0"
#       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection
	If you're unsure of what device/mouse type, send me a private mail and we'll
	get you squared away.

3.	xf86cfg   which I haven't truely played with (GUI) but is praported to
	werk well.

4.	xf86config    which is the good old trusty standby for all of us older
	 (give me TEXT) users. :--)

	Well, hope this helps!

p.s. Hello Mrs. T. (seeing how this IS on YOUR account.)

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                                 (541) 504-1388
                                            Toll Free (866) 562-7160
                                 Via IRC at; 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts
                                           Via ICQ: UIN 138930

"Failure is not an option...it's bundled with Microsoft"
						-anonymous-

"Software is like sex. They're both better when they're free!!" - Linus
Torvalds

"As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product."