Disk access *every* 5 seconds?

Hello list,

keeping uptodate with testing I am running KDE 2.2 since it is
available without Problems. Thanks Ivan!

My last update was yesterday. And now I have a periodical access to one
harddisk (/usr) _exactly_ every 5 seconds. One can hear the heads
moving two times with a delay of less than one second. This cycle
repeats precisely every five seconds. Running xosview I can see the
SCSI-Interrupt flashing once and the DISK activity states 69K for this
cycle of measurement.

This activity is new. And it is bad: it heats up the harddrive and more
worse it crashes my system after some hours by freezing the system.
I was able to log in via ssh but I was *not* able to execute a single
command because that remote logon shell also freezes after hitting
Enter without executing the command.

I am posting this here to the kde-list because:
* I am starting my machine in runlevel 2 without those noises
* when I leave KDE the disk access stops
* it does also happen with a fresh test user account without any KDE
settings (no old .kde directory)
* it does also happen when I start KDE as root (for the first time
since a long time) to verify if it is permission related
* it does *not* happen when I start fvwm95 instead of kde

I have tried to find out which process is responsible
* by ksysguard
* by top in konsole and on a text console with KDE in the background
withour success. There is simple no process with a significant Cpu
usage. I have also tried to locate the trouble-maker by killing some
processes randomly. That is not a good approach...

Then I did lsof several times every ten seconds and looked for
differences. No success.

So my question is simply: how can I find out which process triggers
disk activity every five seconds?

System information:
Kernel 2.4.14-k6,  AMD K6-III, 400MHz, 448 MB Ram, IDE-Burner via
ide-scsi.
The harddisk in question is a Seagate ST39140W on an Adaptec AHA2940.
/usr mounted on /dev/sdc5, lof of space available, using reiserfs

Thanks for reading this.

PS: this is my first posting to this list and addtionally the first
posting with KMail (running on another machine with SuSE), so
if there is something formal incorrect please tell me.
--
Udo Burghardt