Cannot see fonts from non-KDE applications

I am using KDE 2.2.1 with anti-aliasing and True-Type fonts and when I run
non-KDE applications like Netscape, Acroread, or any other which uses
lesstiff I cannot see the fonts. I only get squares in place of each
character.

 Any ideas on how to solve this, keeping Anti-Aliasing?

 I am using TrueType and freefont fonts and I think that I cannot use any of
the latter (freefont). In the Kcontrol Center I only get the True Type fonts
in the list.

thanks,

Pablo de Vicente
KDE spanish translation team