Re: artsd over network

On Saturday 10 November 2001 13:34, Renate wrote:
> Hello,
> I use KDE on my X-terminal (both server and client run Debian/Woody), but I
> have got a problem with the sound especially artsd. I don't know how to run
> artsd over network to put out the sound on the xterminal. So I tried esddsp
> but it always aborts and nasd only produces a very choppy and bad sound.
> Thanks.
> Sebastian Heinlein

Appended the anwser I send this summer to the list.

Achim

On Saturday 07 July 2001 21:47, Radu Muschevici wrote:
> I would like to have my sound clients (xmms, noatun) on my laptop output
> their sound over the network to an arts daemon running on my desktop computer.
> I suppose I have to configure the hostname/TCP port of the server
> somewhere on the client, but where?

On the desktop computer start Controlcenter and enable in Sound -> Sound Server
the items:

        enable network transparency
        exchange security and reference info over the X11 Server

and apply (to restart artsd).  Now slogin -X to you laptop and

        echo GlobalComm=Arts::X11GlobalComm > ~/.mcoprc

now
        artsdsp xmms    # or use the xmms' artsplugin

etc. works over the network.

> Also, do I need to run an artsd also on the laptop which would act as a
> forwarder?

No, see above, but, e.g.,  'artsplay  file'  will only work if 'file' is on the host
running artsd and not on the local host.  A fix is one of the top 3 items for
KDE 2.3 ;)

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com