Qt

In any configure script that checks for Qt, I get this error message:

"checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 2.2.1) (libraries) not found.
Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log."

Of course one would think that means Qt isn't installed, but alas, I'm
running KDE which uses Qt so that isn't so.
Maybe the header files just aren't there? Well, I have the libqt-dev package
too. Hmmm... what else could it be? Maybe I need to simply reinstall the
libqt2 package? Nope, tried that. Golly gee willikers nothing's working!

Ok, I'm done with my sarcastic rundown of already-tried options. Any idea why
my system just doesn't seem to realize that it has Qt 2.3.1 installed? This
is preventing me from compiling a number of programs and from starting a new
project of my own. :-(

Well, I'll survive. Thank you for any suggestions - maybe I've stumbled on
some previously unexpected contingency that needs to be dealt with. Thanks!

- Josh