Re: trying to upgrade KDE - now nothing works!

Greg Madden wrote:

> On Saturday 03 November 2001 11:27 am, Rachel Andrew wrote:
> snip
> > Then where do I find the KDE2.2 binaries? In unstable? How do I just
> > get those and not end up upgrading accidentally to the unstable
> > version of Debian? (I'm still struggling a bit with apt-get so
> > apologies if these are really silly questions).
>
> I have installed the following packages individually: apt-get install
> kdelibs3, kdebase, kdebase-crypto, konqueror, kmail, knode, konsole,
> kdm, kedit ... There is also a 'kde' package that pulls in 'lots' of
> stuff, & koffice.
> - --
> Greg Madden

I have done a couple of installs of Debian testing (Woody) over the last
few weeks.  I was testing out the new boot-floppies to see how they were
coming along.  Anyway, I could get most of the basic KDE stuff by just
doing an "apt-get install kde" after the initial install.  This gets you
a Minimal working KDE set, but you will be missing the crypto stuff,
some games, some audio progs, and some networking progs.  I don't recall
if the KOffice stuff came in the basic set, but I believe it did.

I would recommend for starters you apt-get the kde and the
kdebase-crypto packages.  This should be sufficient to get you going.
BTW, these two also are all you need to get going with the new KDE 2.2.1
from "unstable".  You can add extra pacakges you might want later.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-