trying to upgrade KDE - now nothing works!

Hi

I've just joined the list and now will appear as a hopeless newbie, but.. here goes...

I had KDE2.1 running nicely on Debian (Potato) for about 4 months, I'm a web developer so I use Konqueror to test stuff and I also like KNode for news etc. I'm not a diehard Linux user but I know my way around.

However, I decided to attempt to upgrade to KDE2.2 and tried to use apt-get to do an upgrade. This found some kde files, proceeded to download them but they seemed to be a . release of 2.1, at this point I was logged in as root, in a terminal window on my kde desktop. I decided to give up and logged out to log back in as my user and then found I could log back into kde at all. The X Server is still running and if i select 'failsafe' at login I get bits of KDE such as the terminal.

I also have the KDE2.21 files on a cd-rom, but after extracting the kdebase or kdelibs and trying to do a ./configure it fails on checking for libz... configure: error: not found. Check your installation and look into config.log

config.log confirms that it can't find zlib.h

Sooo... perhaps the problem could be solved if I could find a server with the correct files on and I could upgrade, or manage to install from this CD. It has been suggested that i upgrade from potato to Woody, is this a good idea? How would I go about it?

I probably sound like a rank idiot by now but I am capable of following instructions if I could find some helpful information, I've been searching all afternoon for something that might set me in the right direction but to no avail. If anyone could either explain what I can do to at least get back to what I had/to upgrade KDE or point me to some information elsewhere I'd be very grateful.

Thankyou =)

Rachel