Re: kde's sound works, other utilities' doesn't

sucks the bag wrote:

> just started running kde (off the testing branch) recently and
> everything is fantastic EXCEPT for sound-wise.  all of kde's
> built-in sounds play find and artsplay plays waves as it should,
> but non-kde applications complain about the device being hijacked.
>  xmms says "/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy", mpg321 says "Error
> opening libao oss driver. (Is device in use?)", audacity just
> freezes.  all of these programs work as usual under windowmaker.
> i'm a member of audio, my /dev/dsp permissions are right:
>
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio    14,    3 Jul  5  2000 /dev/dsp
>
> this problem happens regardless of whether i start kde through kdm
> or 'startx'.  any advice?
>
> --- macho

As mentioned before, you can get an arts driver for xmms and set xmms to use this driver, and xmms will work fine!

For programs that don't have an arts driver, try using:

artsdsp mpg123 sound.mp3

This will call the arts deamon so it can handle the sould output from the program. I have not tried any of the programs you list, but this works fine with mtvp for playing video clips with sound. mplayer crashes when passed through artsdsp, but nothing is perfect.

As far as the timeout is concerned, if no arts-capable programs have run for the pre-defined time limit, then other programs can have access to the sound devices.

I hope this is helpfull to you.

Cheers,

	John Gay