Re: Compiling KDE 2.2 on potato ?

<QUOTE>
Please let me know if you have sucessfully (or not!) installed KDE2.2
from souce (or binary even) from the standard release at www.kde.org on
a potato system and what special procedures (if any) were required.

Thankyou, keep up the good work !
Dave
</QUOTE>

I would agree with Allan on this one. The reason KDE2.2 is not being
back-ported to potato is because there are so many library changes and
other changes required. Also, KDE2.2, at least on Debian testing and
unstable is rather unstable at the moment it seems. Although many people
are enjoying KDE2.2 on their testing/unstable systems, there are also many
problems being discussed as well. Several of these seem to be KDE2.2 itself
and not to do with Debian, so I would suggest, if you want KDE2.2 and are
willing to put up with some unstable behavour, upgrade to either testing or
unstable and fetch KDE2.2 from Debian, or just stick with KDE2.1 for the
moment. Woody is going into a freeze soon. They are hoping for a stable
woody by Christmas and Ivan assures us that KDE2.2 WILL be in Woody! Of
course you could still try compiling KDE2.2 yourself, but I think you will
be asking for a lot of trouble and Potato should be obsolete by St Patricks
Day next year or so anyway, so by the time you get KDE2.2 compiled and
working it will be time to upgrade anyway.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

     John Gay