Moving icons where I want them

Hi,

when logging into a kde session after today's upgrade, icons on my
desktop were rearranged vertically in 2 columns! What the heck, *it's
called unstable*, bear with it, I recalled :)

Manually moving icons to their intended places almost works - until
releasing the button when the icon jumps back into the wrong place.

Same effect with other logins I tried; even on a fresh account
created for testing, desktop icons seem to be firmly tied to were
kde places them. *I hate systems forcing their way on me* :)

I looked thru FAQ and documentation and grepped global & local
configuration files for a clue - to no avail.

What am I missing? Or should I file a bug report?

Thanks
  Siggy

If it matters:

$ uname -a
Linux keuner 2.4.5-athlon #1 Wed Jun 20 23:24:17 CEST 2001 i686 unknown

$ dpkg -l kdebase kdelibs3 libqt2
ii  kdebase        2.2.0-final-3  KDE core applications
ii  kdelibs3       2.2.0-final-2  KDE core libraries (runtime files)
ii  libqt2         2.3.1-8        Qt GUI Library (runtime version).

--
Siggy Brentrup - bsb@winnegan.de - http://oss.winnegan.de/
****** ceterum censeo javascriptum esse restrictam *******