sound in kde does not work

Sorry for the previous message, error in version numbers.
I upgraded from version 2.0.1 to 2.1.1 and have a sb live card. K
System sounds used to work fine in earlier version, but now do not
work. I get an error message stating  error loading module, sound
disabled when I try in K to enable audio. If I type xmms in a terminal
window in K, xmms comes up and plays sound fine, but no sound works in
K itself. Any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks.