Re: Ivan- KDE 2.2 final - What's the status?

--- Mike Williams <mikew@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:
>   >>> "tluxt" == tluxt <tluxt@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>   tluxt> 1. What the status of the KDE 2.2 packages is.
>
> I don't want to speak for Ivan, but KDE 2.2-final is already in
> "unstable"
> .. I installed it yesterday. I guess it will make it's way into
> woody/testing in a couple of weeks.
>
> Thanks to Ivan for his great work!
>
>   tluxt> 2. A brief How-to install a fresh Debian + KDE 2.2 system today?
>
> You'll have to install it from "unstable".  A brief howto:
>
>   + Add "unstable" lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>
>   + Create a /etc/apt/preferences file that favours "testing", e.g.
>
>       Package: *
>       Pin: release a=testing
>       Pin-Priority: 777
>
>       Package: *
>       Pin: release a=unstable
>       Pin-Priority: 333
>
>   + "apt-get -t unstable install kde"
>
> Note that the resulting system would be considered, er, unstable.
>
> --
> cheers, Mike

Thank you for your very prompt reply!

Would you please look at my recently posted HowTo message to this list?  It
appears your comments are crucial.  I guess my HowTo procedure will only
work after these packages migrate from unstable to testing, yes?

Until that happens, is it possible to not do a full upgrade to unstable,
and still run the KDE 2.2 debs?  (Is that what your suggestion here
accomplishes?  Or, will your procedure upgrade any packages installed on
the system to any such named packages in unstable?)

Would you please give me a url for info about how to upgrade to unstable,
and the implications thereof?  Perhaps I missed something obvious, but I
couldn't find it in places I thought it might be, such as:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/
http://www.debian.org/releases/
or the "installation instructions":
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable