Re: KDEbian FAQ

--- Jaime Robles <jaime@kde.org> wrote:
> Debian & KDE users FAQ V-0.1
>
> Jaime Robles (jaime@kde.org)
> Begin 27/Jan/2001
> Last update 16/Mar/2001

Hi Jamie.

If you are the maintainer of this FAQ, (and if you are not, would you
please pass this request on to the mainainer?) would you please ad
something along the lines of this:

==========
Q: After I install X and get it configured, then install KDE for Debian
Stable/Potato, the system starts up with a KDE style login.  But when I
log in I get a gray GUI screen, and the left mouse button gives a menu
of options, but this is not the KDE window manager (it is the twm
window manager).  How do I get the KDE WM?

A: Create a file called .xsessions in each user's home directory and
put in it the following line:
exec startkde
==========

I think that will save many people a lot of search time!

I don't know where in the FAQ you want to put it, but I'd recommend a
place not far behind the "How do I install it?" question.

PS: Is there a better way than the one I've suggested to accomplish the
goal of the above question?

PPS: Are there any other necessary things for the person doing the
installation to do to get the KDE system working properly?

(I'm posting this request because that _was_ a necessary step required
to get Debian KDE working on my system, and it did take me many hours
of searching to find it.  It was not even on the Debian KDE web site.
I found it in the KDE _Users_ guide (which is a guide that would seem
to be relevant only _after_ a properly completed installation, not
before).)

Thanks for your work on KDE for Debian.