Font permissions?

I'm not sure if there's such a thing, but I have one user who is having
problems with fonts on a Debian potato (all stable) machine with KDE 2.1.
Things are 99% ok with the exception of weirdness involving any Gnome/GTK
related apps and one user.  Gimp for example.  At Gimp's start up, there is
no text displayed in the splash window.  Then when the 'tip of the day'
window appears, again no text. Finally, when the main Gimp widget opens,
there is no text in the menu bar.  You can guess where the menu items are,
click there and it all works.
Also, the gnomecal program.  It works fine unless you access the help/about
menu.  The about screen has no text, just some sqaure boxes where the letters
should be.  Of 9 users on this lan, he is the only one that has this problem.
As is always the case "this just started happening for no reason, I didn't
try to change anything"   My kingdom for a hidden camera!
I should also mention that all KDE apps, and non-gnome X apps in general
appear to behave just fine for him and all other users.  Anyone have any
ideas at where I might look for a solution?  TIA!

--
Dave Eidson
Blue Northern Software