KDEbian FAQ

Debian & KDE users FAQ V-0.1

Jaime Robles (jaime@kde.org)
Begin 27/Jan/2001
Last update 16/Mar/2001

This FAQ comes from the Debian & KDE user list:
"debian-kde@lists.debian.org"

0.-Question: Where can I find the last version of this FAQ?
   Answer: 27 Jan 2001
        You can find it in http://kde.debian.net

1.-Q: Is there a list for KDE & Debian users?
   A: 27 Jan 2001
        Yes, the email address is: debian-kde@lists.debian.org

2.-Q: How can I subscribe the  "debian-kde@lists.debian.org"
   A: 27 Jan 2001
        Send an email to debian-kde-request@lists.debian.org with the
subject "subscribe".

3.-Q: Where are the Release schedules?

4.-Q: Is there any web for KDE & Debian?
   A: 27 Jan 2001
        Please try http://kde.debian.net

5.-Q: What's avail and what's not?

6.-Q: How do I install it...I can't find a package called "kde"?
   A: 27 Jan 2001
        Go to http://kde.debian.net/  find a mirror close to
you...throw that apt line
        in...apt-get install task-kde.

7.-Q: What is the proper line to add to /etc/apt/sources.list?
   A: 16 Mar 2001
        Look at http://kde.debian.net  Apt lines are listed with a
breakdown
        of what they are..however they are:
                main = current release of KDE + all required and
optional packages
                crypto = crypto packages (libssl + -crypto kde modules)
                optional = some extra packages I packaged with no
warranty
                kde2 = KDE 2.0.1 packages (old)
                qt1apps = Really old (and unsupported) QT1/KDE1 apps
                sword = Sword modules converted from .rpm via alien
(needed for sword and Bibletime)

8.-Q: BTW, what is this 'sources.list'?
   A: 16 Mar 2001
        Package resource list for APT.  The  package  resource  list is
used to
        locate archives of the package distribution system in use on
the  system.
        At this  time,  this manual page documents only the packaging
        system used by the Debian GNU/Linux system.  This  control
        file is located in /etc/apt/sources.list

9.-Q: Where do I go for non-Debian specific info about KDE?
   A: 16 Mar 2001
        Please try http://www.kde.org

10.-Q: How do I know if I should ask here, or kde.org?
  A: 16 Mar 2001
        If you are using Debian and KDE and your problem is a KDE
related problem... ask here!
        If the problem is with KDE there is no harm in asking on the
Debian KDE
        list first.  Actually it's prefered if you check the Debian KDE
        first.  http://lists.debian.org  as Ivan will publically flog
you if you ask a FAQ.  :)

11.-Q: What are the differences between Debian KDE and other(RedHat)
KDE?
  A: 16 Mar 2001
        Most distribution based packages will be customized somewhat.
Debian's is
        pretty much stock.  The main things we customize are:

                Custom start/stop scripts for things like kdm
                Integration of the Debian menu system
                Conformation to the Debian Policy (see www.debian.org
for it)
                We break some packages out into their own packages
(kmail,konqueror,etc)
                Added documentation, and little cosmetic things here
and there...

        It mostly depends on users...what they recommend or request
goes along way
        with the Debian builds.

12.-Q: Where can I download a KDevelop .deb?
    A: 27 Jan 2001
        It used to be in a separated place.
        Nowadays KDevelop with the other files :-)

13.-Q: What are the packages installed by task-kde and what are the
others
       I have to install one by one.?
    A: 27 Jan 2001
        For offline viewing do "apt-get update", then use dselect,
console-apt, aptitude, etc.
        Online, use http://www.debian.org/Packages to see what is
available, then either download and do "dpkg -i ..."
        or use "apt-get ...

14.-Q: How to install one package at a time as well as with task-kde
        (it can be easier if you have a slow or time limited
connection).

15.-Q:  Who do I report what bugs to?
    A: 16 Mar 2001
        The best way to deal with things is to check both Bug Tracking
Systems
        first before reporting a bug.  http://bugs.debian.org
http://bugs.kde.org

16.-Q:If I install a package, how I can know what programs
(executables) will be settled to the hard drive. Or a simpler way: what
are the commands I have to use after installation.
    A: 16 Mar 2001
        You can always look at what files were installed by checking
        /var/lib/dpkg/info/packagename.list

--
Un saludo,
	Jaime Robles