Re: How install KDE with Woody/testing? (2)

>> I've seen this behaviour in both regular Potato and Progeny.
>
>Is it really GDM or is it in the init scripts?

I would not know enough to know, but I do know that I had been using gdm on
a Potato system, then I decided to try xfce so I did an apt-get install
xfce. When I logged out of KDE, gdm came up and xfce was now available in
the sessions list, so I don't think it was a post-install script for gdm as
gdm was allready installed.

I don't know how these things work, I just like when they do. This is the
only reason I still use gdm instead of kdm.

Hendrik Sattler had a good sugestion for using the 'alternatives' system
for selecting which login manager to use.

Either way, I just like using what works best, this was why I dumped
M$Windows a while ago. This is why I still have Netscape for certain things
even though konqueror is better, faster and stronger in most reguards. And
this is why I use KDE over Gnome, I like the familiar and easy to work with
interface. One thing I miss is a nice Music to MIDI shareware program for
Windows called Noteworthy Composer. I'm still waiting for Brahms to make it
into KDE proper till I see how it works. This is also why, dispite the
various problems I've had with Debian over the years I still stick with it.
The power of apt-get and dselect leaves the rpm's in the dust!

Just a quick note to everyone involved:
Great job to Ivan, Ben and everyone who has contributed so much time and
sanity to bring the latest of KDE and koffice to the Debian system. I know
a lot more people are contributing as well and it is because of all of you
that someone with little knowledge, like me, can install something as
complex as KDE and see it work! And when the inevitable problems do creep
in, it is amazing to see just how fast they get fixed!

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

     John Gay